Complete revision history at document's end.
#DALnetHelp was created in October of 1996 as a DALnet-sponsored help channel.
This document is its charter, denoting the rules that govern #DALnetHelp, its administrators, AOps, trainees, and users.
Purpose of #DALnetHelp:
The purpose of #DALnetHelp is to provide users with individualized help and training with DALnet Services.
- Objectives of #DALnetHelp
The main objective of #DALnetHelp is to provide a network help channel where users can get individualized assistance with their problems and basic IRC training while on DALnet. To facilitate
this, all clients entering #DALnetHelp must adhere to basic netiquette courtesy (no cursing, flooding, spamming, etc.).
#DALnetHelp's sole purpose is to provide services to DALnet users; it is not to be considered as an IRC Operator training ground. Such training is provided through the DALnet
IRC Operator Training Program, which is not a part of #DALnetHelp.
- Rights and Responsibilities:
The rights and responsibilities of a #DALnetHelp AOp shall include but are not limited to the following:
- Providing timely and correct assistance to those who come to the channel for help.
- Keeping themselves up-to-date on DALnet policies, procedures, activities, and Services commands.
- Training and guiding sponsored trainees (DNH+Vs) and channel helpers.
- Voting in the official promotion elections for trainees and helpers.
- Keeping #DALnetHelp administration as a whole aware of any prolonged absences.
- Temporary voicing of helpers and/or guest helpers to voiced status while the AOp is present.
- Temporary opping of DNH+V helpers while the AOp is present or is preparing to leave and the channel would be left without an AOp.
- Suggesting changes to the channel guidelines and training program.
- AOp status in The Lounge.
- Policy Decisions
- Policy decisions include, but are not limited to:
- Making changes to the charter.
- Adding/removing SOps.
- Voting to bring action against an AOp, DNH+V or Helper.
- Policy change process is as follows:
- Any AOp or SOp may suggest changes in channel policy to the SOp Team.
- The SOp Team will review the suggested changes and make a decision on them.
- The Channel Manager has the final word on all policy decisions.
- The Help Committee reserves the right to review and revise any or all channel policies.
- The Training of new #DALnetHelp staff
- Helpers come in many varieties; the SOp Team for #DALnetHelp attempts to recognize this in its training policy.
- The general steps of advancement are as follows:
- Guest Helper - may be asked not to help or to observe if circumstances warrant it.
- Official Helper - recognized member of #DALnetHelp staff.
- DNH+V - autovoiced helper who can help with almost any issue that arises; may need fine tuning of channel management skills.
- AOp - helper has shown exemplary helping skills; able to oversee and manage any in-channel issue.
- Promotion to SOp is extremely rare and not to be expected.
- Promotion from one level to the next is based upon class participation and bi-monthly elections:
- Selection as an Official Helper will be done on the basis of AOp and SOp recommendations.
- Promotion to DNH+V may require participation in one or more classes.
- Promotion to AOp may require participation in one or more additional classes.
- Completion of the requisite classes is necessary to be placed on the bi-monthly election ballot.
- Most of the #DALnetHelp training will be done by #DALnetHelp staff. However, other groups within DALnet may also participate. These include DALnet Admins, SAs, CSOps and IRC Operators.
- Occasionally SOps, AOps and DNH+Vs may be selected as IRC Operators. This is not due to their development in #DALnetHelp, but rather to their being known to the Server Admins who have selected them. #DALnetHelp is not an IRC Operator training ground.
- Outlines of what helpers are expected to know can be found in the training section of #DALnetHelp's website.
- DALnet Administrative Involvement
- #DALnetHelp is subject to the DALnet Help Committee and the DALnet Administration, who are its recognized founders.
- All IRC Operators and Server Admins who request it, are provided with an initial #DALnetHelp DNH+V and ops in The Lounge once they have shown a continued presence in #DALnetHelp and assisting users.
- All IRC Operators and Server Admins who are interested in becoming a channel AOp must be voted to AOp status by receiving a majority vote to AOp in the bi-monthly promotion election.
- Channel Policies
- The channel and its associated extensions have 3 basic rules:
- Provide the best help and training for the DALnet users that you possibly can.
- Treat all users and helpers as you would like to be treated.
- Ask what you can do for the channel and network, not what the channel and network can do for you.
- These basic rules are expanded upon in the #DALnetHelp Guidelines.
- Complaints and Disciplinary Actions
- Details regarding disciplinary actions and policy will be found in the #DALnetHelp Charter.
- In the event that there is dissatisfaction with the behaviour or performance of a helper, the following procedure will be followed.
- All complaints regarding any helper will be handled by a SOp, the Channel Manager, or the Help Committee, in that order.
- The handling of complaints will be accomplished in the following way:
- Only long-term complaints are considered; isolated incidents occur "randomly" and helpers are expected to be able to sort these out on their own.
- All complaints must be done via email, with appropriate and sufficient logs.
- Complaints will be handled in a dignified manner with respect for all involved.
- Helpers will be notified if a complaint has been filed, and given an opportunity to respond.
- SOps may decide to use emergency measures whenever needed but must substantiate their decisions following such action.
- Document Revision History
Based on the DALnet Charter by dalvenjah, JoeBlow, et al.
|Created ||December 15, 1996 ||(Version 1.0) ||DragonHeart|
|Revised ||January 28, 1997 ||(Version 1.1) ||DragonHeart|
|Revised ||October 8, 1997 ||(Version 1.2) ||DragonHeart|
|Revised ||February 29, 2000 ||(Version 1.5) ||Kzoo|
|Revised ||July 9, 2000 ||(Version 1.5.1) ||TNGPicard|
|Revised ||March 31, 2001 ||(Version 2) ||TNGPicard|
|Revised ||May 5, 2004 ||(Version 2.1) ||esrever|